Monday, December 12, 2011

Ila Ada (without ila)

From the time I decided to start a recipe blog(just a couple of days ago), I have been thinking of what the first recipe should be. And today I decided that it should be ila ada. Ila Ada or Ileda(as its pronounced tat way) is made from rice flour flattened on a piece of  banana leaf. with a wonderful filling It has always been my favourite sweet.
I had this craving for Ileda since I moved to NJ, but couldn't find any banana leaves, which was when I decided to experiment with Aluminium foil.

Ingredients:
Rice flour -  1 cup
Water      -  1 cup
Coconut    - 1 cup
Jaggery(Vellam/Sharkara)  - 5-6 medium sized pieces
Cardamom - 1 or 2, as per taste

Recipe:
Bring water a boil. Add the rice flour to it, mix well and take it off the stove. Once it has cooled down, mix it again with hands and make a dough.
Melt the jaggery in the stove, and add shredded coconut to it. You may increase/decrease the quantity of coconut and jaggery to make it taste the way you want. You may also add cardamom to suit your taste since it adds to the flavor. But since my husband totally hates the taste of cardamom, I generally do not add any.

Now, cut aluminium foil in a square shape(for those of you blessed enough to procure banana leaves, please use it since its smell is more than enough to add to any recipe). Place a ball of the rice flour dough on the center, and flatten it into a spherical shape using your hands. place some coconut-jaggery mixture to the center and fold the foil so that the 'Ada' is folded onto half and the sweet mixture spread within it evenly.

Steam for 15 mins (I used my idli thattu), and Ila Ida(or shall I call it 'foil ada'? :)  is ready to be placed on the table.


An alteration:
You may use sugar instead of jaggery if you do not like the taste of it. I have heard a lot of friends saying that they like the coconut-sugar mixture better than the coconut-jaggery version. That depends totally on your taste.

Hope you enjoy this sweet. 

7 comments:

  1. foilil pinondu kunji kunji holes ittal onnoode nannayi vevum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ano? Athenikku ariyillarunnu.. Thnx for d tip. Nxt time try cheyyam :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how I can make ila ada without ila.. thanks. .planning to make it today..I will try making small holes with pin too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering how I can make ila ada without ila.. thanks. .planning to make it today..I will try making small holes with pin too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't use aluminium foil for cooking instead you can make modakam or kozhukkatta with the same stuffing.When you cook using Aluminium foil, the aluminium will leach into the food which is harmful to health. Also try to avoid wrapping in aluminium foil too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://theconversation.com/why-you-shouldnt-wrap-your-food-in-aluminium-foil-before-cooking-it-57220

    Side effects of cooking with Aluminium foil.

    Please do try something else like white Bauhinia leaves, corn husk, or teak leaves

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have read in another ebsite that we can use butter paper/parchment paper instead of ila

    ReplyDelete